Bioceptive was founded in September 2010 to address the lack of innovation present in certain areas of women’s health. Our mission is to development medical devices that improve a woman’s health care experience, improve her outcomes, increase access to difficult procedures, and improve the health care delivery experience for providers.
Our first device is an innovative, intuitive IUD insertion system developed to decrease the adverse events caused by current insertion tools and techniques as well as to expand access to the IUD worldwide by providing a more intuitive procedure for inserting IUDs. Bioceptive is in development stage of its patent-pending device and seeks to bring the device through regulatory approval, making available a much needed device to women across the world.
We have a pipeline of great products to improve women’s health provision, so stay tuned for developments!
Chief Executive Officer and President
Dr. Davis is a M.D. by training but has been a full-time medical device entrepreneur for the last ten years. He has founded or held an executive position in six medical device companies. Recently, he served as Chief Operating Officer of SafeStitch Medical Inc. At SafeStitch, he was involved in effecting a reverse merger to go public in 2007 and went through multiple FDA approvals to ultimately lead a successful commercialization of a novel surgical device. Currently, he is also CEO and President of DermaSensor Inc., which is in the process of developing a novel device for skin cancer screening. He also actively consults in business development and strategic marketing for multiple companies and venture capital firms. In the past, he has served as Assistant Medical Director of Innovia LLC and all of its affiliates including InnFocus LLC and InnoGraft LLC. Dr. Davis has twelve FDA clearances and CE Marks and successful licensing as well as partnership deals. Dr. Davis graduated from the University of Miami School of Medicine. He has published over a dozen peer reviewed papers as well as a book.
Chief Operating Officer
Mr. Khurana has a strong technical and business background with more than eleven years of experience in various roles involving product development and commercialization. Recently, he has served as Product Line Manager at EWI Inc. and was responsible for the commercialization of six technologies. During his tenure, he licensed out two technologies and saw 100% increase in sales of two products. Also, two products in his portfolio were developed from concept to beta phase. Prior to that, he worked in business development and engineering roles. Mr. Khurana has a MS degree in Materials Science and an MBA from Ohio State University. He holds a B.Tech. degree from the prestigious Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) .
Chief Scientific Officer
Mr. Cappiello is the inventor of Bioceptive’s IUD insertion tool and the scientific founder. He devised the initial concept while still a student at Tulane University and brought together the current team to found the company in the months following his graduation. He holds a BSE in Biomedical Engineering from Tulane University and certificates in various aspects of women’s health and contraception. Mr. Cappiello was previously an intern in adult stem cell engineering at Boston Biomedical Research Institute in the laboratory of the renowned researcher, James L. Sherley, MD, PhD.
Janifer Tropez-Martin, MD, MPH, FACOG
– Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Tulane School of Medicine
– Program Director, Population and Reproductive Health, David and Lucille Packard Foundation
– Executive Director, Women and Population, United Nations Foundation (2007-2012)
Annette P. Cumming, MBA
– Director, Planned Parenthood Federation of America
– Chair, The Planned Parenthood Foundation Board of Trustees
– Director, Friends of UNFPA (Former Chair of the Board and Development Committee Chair)
– Director, Guttmacher Institute (Chair of Nominating Committee)
Joyce Cappiello, Ph.D., ARNP
– Assistant Clinical Professor of Nursing at the University of New Hampshire
– Director, Reproductive Options Education Consortium for Nursing at Provide (Cambridge, MA)
Edward Karp, MBA
– Founder and President of the health product and consulting firm, Health & Life
– Director, Jian KW, LLC and CyberHealth, Inc.
– Adjunct Professor, Tulane University
John Christie, MBA
– Executive Director, Office of Technology Transfer and Intellectual Property Development, Tulane University